In 1952, Dorothy and William Hancock saw the need for a fabric store catering to small towns and carrying a large variety of fabrics and notions. They began their business, Hancock Fabric Center, in Batesville, Mississippi. Three years later William Hancock's brother, L.D., recognized the potential of his brother's business and began Hancock Textiles, catering first to dry goods stores that wished to expand to offer fabrics and notions to their customers in small towns in rural America. The concept blossomed into the national fabric chain Hancock Fabrics.
As fate would have it, William Hancock died in an automobile accident in 1962. His death altered his and Dorothy's plans to expand their retail concept to other cities. Newly widowed, Dorothy raised her sons, Rowland and Rodney, in the fabric business.
Dorothy always exhibited remarkable character. She grew up in Bristol England, an orphan from the age of 12. She lived through the Battle of Britain during World War II and met William Hancock during his tour of duty in the United States Army. After the death of her husband in 1962, she raised her two sons, Rowland and Rodney, and successfully ran her fabric business, Hancock Fabric Center, on Van Voris Avenue in Batesville, Mississippi until 1992. She retained her business relationship with her brother-in-law's business, Hancock Fabrics, in Tupelo, Mississippi as a wholesale customer.
Three generations of customers in Northeastern Mississippi bought fabric for christening gowns, children's dresses and clothes, bridal gowns, draperies, and quilts. An accomplished seamstress, Dorothy's store was always kept in the most meticulous fashion.
In 1969, Dorothy's son, Rowland Hancock, moved to the town of Paducah, KY to open a store on the advice of his uncle, L.D. Hancock. He started his own business, then Hancock Fabrics, in a 15,000 square foot building that had been vacated by the Kroger Grocery Company. Rowland developed that site into one of the top fabric stores in the nation over the 17 years he did business at that site.
In 1986, we built 30,000 square foot store to showcase the world's largest retail selection of fabric. This year proved eventful for the business. The store moved to its current location, the American Quilter's Society held its first quilt show, and the official name of the business was changed to Hancock's of Paducah, in order to avoid confusion with the Hancock Fabrics national chain of stores.
In 1990, as quilting became more popular, we began to offer a mail order service to our customers.
In 1996, a 30,000 square foot addition was built to house the growing e-commerce division. This expansion gave Hancock's of Paducah over 60,000 square feet of building space for fabric sales. Over the years the mail order division has grown from a single ad in the back of Quilter's Newsletter Magazine, to a thriving e-commerce business.
Hancock's of Paducah has adapted into a modern multi-channel business, while keeping the values of three generations of successful fabric merchants.
We now ship products all over the nation and to 72 different countries worldwide. Our values are built on quality; in both the products we sell & the service provided.
Order from us with the confidence that our family & dedicated staff has served fabric buying customers with professional pride since 1952.